The Colorado Buffalos travel to Ann Arbor this week to attempt to upset No. 4 Michigan. Here are a few things you need to know and look for on Saturday.
What You Need to Know
No.4 Michigan (2-0) vs Colorado (2-0)
Kickoff: 3:30 PM
Where to Watch: Big Ten Network
Odds: Michigan favored by 19.5
Honorary Captain: Tom Brady
Things to Watch For
1) How will Michigan win?
In the first game, it was the Michigan ground attack that was impressive and helped the Wolverines cruise to a huge win over Hawaii. The second game was quite a bit different due to UCF stacking the box to stop the run. Wilton Speight was the hero with over 300 yards passing and four touchdowns. So the question that I have this week is; how will they win the game this week—on the ground or in the air? I believe that will depend on whether or not the Buffalo defense tries to stop the run or defend the pass. Either decision will hurt them as Michigan will eventually gain a big lead. I want to see another big week for the special teams unit. Four kicks, either punts or field goals, were tipped last week! That is unheard of in today’s game. I don’t think I have ever seen that many blocks in a single contest and it was done by only two players, Tyree Kinnel and Chris Wormley. Maybe the win will come through special teams touchdowns. Everyone is on the edge of their seat when Jabrill Peppers fields a kick, will this be the week that he lands in the end zone? Pick your poison Buffalos, get beat in the air by Speight or on the ground with Michigan’s stable of backs.
2) Offensive Line Toughness
Michigan has a great group of large offensive linemen who’s ceiling is extremly high. Last week, UCF put 8 and 9 guys in the box to overload the OL making it difficult on the Wolverines. The toughness that I am looking for this week is for the unit to get a bigger push off the ball to create more space for the running backs to run. I don’t want to see Buffalos in the Wolverines backfield like last game. UCF had too many tackles for loss on Michigan. I see the OL continuing to have excellent pass protection against a lesser defensive front. Maybe Coach Harbaugh and Coach Drevno insert more two tight end formations to get extra blockers if Colorado decides to defend the run game first. One way or another, the OL will need to fight hard in the trenches to open gaps and protect Speight.
3) Elmer Fudd
I am very excited to see one of my childhood TV favorites line up at the quarterback position for the Colorado Buffalos! I watched him for years try to come up with schemes to catch Bugs Bunny by any means necessary. That poor guy just could not get it done, so I guess he is switched targets and now will be coming up with a game plan to beat the Michigan defense. I have news for you Mr Fudd, this foe will be much harder to conquer. Fudd stands 5-foot-2, so that will be a great task seeing over Michigan’s defensive line monsters.
If you have not heard by now, Colorado released its depth chart this week in an attempt to be funny and poke at Coach Harbaugh. So if they want to call its QB Elmer Fudd, then we all can call him Elmer Fudd. By the way, Coach Harbaugh has made it known, he does not fill his time with attempts to humor the opposing team. He is focused on winning games.
Who is Visiting the Big House?
- Future NFL Hall of Fame quarterback and Michigan Alum Tom Brady will be the honorary captain for this week’s game. Brady has recently been more involved in the football program since the hiring of Harbaugh. He was a part of the national signing day festivities back in February. Him being at the game will definitely have a positive impact on the visiting recruits this weekend.
- Dylan McCaffrey, a 2017 4 star Michigan quarterback commit will be one of those guys who will enjoy talking with Tom Brady on Saturday. According to 247Sports, the No. 3 pro-style QB will be on an unofficial visit.
- Stephen Carr, a 2017 5 star running back who has already verbally committed to USC, is ranked as the nations No. 14 athlete.
- Xavier Goldsmith, a 2019 cornerback prospect from Cass Tech High School in Michigan will return for the third time this year according to Brice Marich of Scout.
- Jaren Mangham, class of 2019 4 star running back/ linebacker and teamate of Goldsmith.
- Alex Reigelsperger, a 2018 3 star defensive end from Ohio will be in attendance according to Maize n Brew.
- Taj Mustapha,, a 2018 wide receiver from Michigan, according to Allen Trieu of Scout.
Colorado has also stated they will be wearing its throw back jerseys from when they upset Michigan back in 1994. I guess they are trying to play mind games with the Michigan Wolverines instead of trying to stop them on the field. It’s not going to work with this well coached group. Have a great time watching the Wolverines win its third in a row and I will see you all next Friday!