Tyrece Speaight may not be a household name for Michigan fans right now, but his time is surely coming. Speaight, a 2016 4* safety out of Akron has seen his recruiting process speed up over the last few weeks.
- On who he has been hearing from as of late: Speaight has recently heard from Luke Fickell the defensive coordinator from Ohio State. He was originally being recruited by Mike Vrabel before he left OSU to coach in the NFL. He has also heard from newly hired DB coach Terry Smith who wants Speaight to take a visit to campus. Michigan and Notre Dame have been showing interest through letters, but I expect that interest to rise over the coming weeks/months.
- On his Jabrill Peppers tweet: Speaight recently tweeted about his desire to play with Jabrill Peppers. He said it would be “sweet” and he would love to play with a player of Peppers’ caliber.
- On his favorite school growing up: His favorite team growing up was always Michigan. He said that his favorite player was Mike Hart and he always wished to play in the Big House.
- On his top schools: He gave me his list in order: Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Akron.
- On what’s next: Speaight says he will be attending the Rivals camp in April. He also plans on going to Ohio University, Ohio State and Penn State’s camps later on this year as well.
Speaight’s top schools will obviously fluctuate throughout the process. Unless someone comes in and completely blows him away, I expect him to stay in the Midwest. With Michigan showing interest and him loving the program growing up, Michigan should have a good shot if they decide to offer Speaight.
However, don’t forget about Ohio State. They have a great ability of locking down in-state talent and it will be difficult for any team to lure him out of Ohio.
Considering he is a 2016 recruit, the process won’t pick up for a few weeks or even months at best. Speaight is a talented player so he will surely get his looks.