Kyle Berger is a 4* LB from Ohio that Michigan is looking at for the 2014 class. Berger is garnering a ton of interest and holds offers from Ohio State, Michigan State and Michigan to name a few.
I briefly spoke with Berger tonight to get a feel on his recruitment process.
- On his recruitment: “It’s been going great. It really started to pick up in the last two weeks or so. I’ve been talking to a good amount of schools and have kind of started to plan some visits in the next month or two.”
- On any schools that sticks out to him in particular: “Right now, the schools that are sticking out because of the amount of interest they’ve shown would be OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford and Tennessee. Right now I don’t have a top list due to the fact that I’ve only visited one place which was OSU.
- On whether distance is a factor, considering OSU is in his backyard: “Right now, I don’t really know. But if I find that a certain school is the perfect fit for my future, then I wouldn’t say distance has too much of a factor on my decision.”
- On what he is looking for in a school: “Well, first off ,without a doubt would be academics. I know football wont be there for me forever so I need a Plan B always and I want to be a doctor. So academics is really important to me. Then I look at look coaches and how comfortable I feel with them because I’m going to be spending a lot of time with them.
- On Michigan: “I really like Michigan, I know they have a great academic reputation. Especially a great Medical School which is perfect for me. I went up to camp this summer and really liked the coaches as well, especially Coach Mattison. Also one of my coaches Elvis Grbac talks very highly of Michigan and so I hear great things about them often.”
Obviously, having Ohio State in Berger’s backyard will prove tough to overcome, especially considering he has already visited and that first visit will set the standard. But, this is recruiting. Nothing is ever guaranteed these days.
I will be speaking to Berger in March after he takes a visit to campus to see where he is at.