Earlier this month, we passed along the information that Denard submitted his name to the NFL Draft status committee. If he received a first-round draft status, Denard would leave school early.
Now this is looking highly unlikely. The Detroit News is reporting that Denard is set to return for his senior year in 2012. The following excerpt is from Angelique Chengelis, Wolverine beat writer.
“I expect to be back, and that’s it,” Robinson said Friday during a news conference for the Jan. 3 Sugar Bowl when the Wolverines will face Virginia Tech.
He said he has not yet heard from the board. Michigan coach Brady Hoke has said he supported Robinson’s decision to submit paperwork, saying it was a good idea.
“I was like, ‘OK, put my name out there and see what happens and whatever happens, happens,'” Robinson said. “I thought it was a good idea, so I did it.”
NFL draft experts say they don’t see Robinson playing in the NFL as a quarterback and will have to make a position change. Robinson, however, sees himself playing quarterback.
“That’s why I’m trying to work on trying to be a better quarterback and a better passer,” Robinson said. “Hopefully I can have the blessing to be in the NFL one day playing quarterback.”
Good news for fans that weren’t ready for the Devin Gardner show just yet.